Friday, August 1, 2008

Landslides and Washouts

Yesterday was a long day.

I was really excited to go to Kaikoura, and then we almost got stranded there. The roads were all washed out (i'm pretty sure they became rivers at some parts) but luckily we got through finally at 3 (I was supposed to leave at 8) and made it to the ferry to Wellington.

The ferry was huge. It was bad weather, so I almost got seasick, but I didn't. The ferry had a cinema, cafe, lounge, arcade, and was absolutely beautiful. Part of the "entertainment on board" was a "crazy Irishman" getting his foot stuck in an armrest :)

After arriving in Wellington I checked into my hostel and then went out with some of the girls that I met from my trip (from the UK and Ireland). We went to a few slow bars (including the base one, where Faviano proceded to annoy me from the last night I met him) and then went to one with this great live band, the noodles. A few creepy old men hit on me, to which I pushed them aside, and then me and this Argentinian guy danced latino style to 500 Miles by the Proclaimers. It was amazing.

I slept in late this morning, then just wandered the city again. Tonight I am going to a rugby game (yay!!!!) and then going out again, maybe meeting up with someone later on.... I leave tomorrow morning at 8 back for the south island. woo for glacier climbing and the milford sound!!

i can't believe i have less than two weeks left.... i don't think i'm ready to leave!

No comments: